Current Openings - Job Detail
JOB ENTRYSECURITY GUARD – Part TimeLocation: Pratt City – 38 Hours Opens: 09/09/14 Closes: 09/22/14 JOB SUMMARY
Under the supervision of the branch manager or designee, ensures safety of staff, users, collections, furnishings and equipment at assigned location. Proactively and positively enforces Library rules of behavior. Maintains order and pleasant atmosphere in the library.EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Reports to security supervisor or branch or department head.
- Reports to work as scheduled, alert and ready to perform duties.
- Follows instruction of on-site supervisor
- Routinely patrols library inside and outside or as instructed
- Makes periodic inspection tours of the library, library grounds, and parking lot.
- Guards against illegal entry, fire and theft.
- Observes and reports unusual conditions and safety hazards.
- Communicates with supervisor and library personnel team to provide a safe, secure environment.
- Monitors and ensures that all visitors comply with Library Rules and use appropriate library behavior.
- Provides necessary assistance to library personnel and public.
- Contacts law enforcement agencies as necessary.
- Escorts authorized persons and library personnel entering property to and from parking areas as requested.
- Accompanies personnel and or transportation of money or other valuables as required.
- Monitors and sets fire and security systems and communicates with control center.
- Prepares written reports as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of loss prevention, theft and search procedures
- Knowledge of Birmingham Public Library rules as well as laws and City Ordinances pertaining to theft, disturbances, assault and vandalism
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures used in security work.
- Ability to work with a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations courteously and correctly.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with staff members and library patrons
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist and turn.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum requirement is graduation from high school or G.E.D. Present or prior experience as a certified police officer preferred.BENEFITS
38 hours bi-weekly; Grade 10 - Step 1-$10.66 per hour. All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs.METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/
) for an application. The application will be forwarded to the Birmingham Public Library Personnel Officer. Library employees need not go through the Alabama Career Center but can submit applications directly to the Library Personnel Office. Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Birmingham Public Library.
Position available immediately. This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.