Current Openings - Job Detail
BUILDING SERVICE WORKER (PART TIME)
Central Library – 12 Hours Bi weekly
Opens: 12/12/14 Closes: 12/30/14 JOB SUMMARY
Work involves performing a variety of manual tasks in cleaning and maintaining buildings and grounds. Work is performed in accordance with specific procedures and inspected frequently for compliance to the standards and instructions. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Reports to Department Head or Branch Head
- Cleans furnishings, floors, and equipment using cleaning solutions and disinfectants; cleans bathrooms; replenishes soap, tissues, and towels.
- Sweeps, mops hard surfaces, waxes, vacuums, and buffs floors; dusts and cleans walls, hallways, elevators, stairs, closets, shelves and storage areas.
- Empties waste containers, separates trash and recycles appropriate material, replaces liners
- Maintains kitchen area by washing dishes or using dishwasher and putting the dishes and glasses in the cabinets, cleaning the tables, countertops, and appliances, etc.
- Keeps grounds free of trash.
- Cleans windows and doors; polishes brass.
- Loads and delivers equipment and materials. Responsible for inventorying cleaning supplies.
- Performs related work as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and materials.
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral or written directions.
- Ability to exercise care in the use of cleaning material.
- Ability to perform heavy lifting and routine manual cleaning tasks.
- Ability to use personal computers.
- Valid state of Alabama driver's license required.
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist, turn and move materials in the library; ability to lift moderate weight up to 50 pounds in the handling of library materials; ability to push carts, bins and book trucks loaded with library materials weighing up to 100 pounds. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from high school or equivalent experience, including ability to read and write English. BENEFITS
12 hours biweekly; Grade 133, Step 1, $10.19 per hour. All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule location changes depending on library needs. METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/) for an application. The application will be forwarded to the Birmingham Public Library Personnel Officer. Library employees need not go through the Alabama Career Center but can submit applications directly to the Library Personnel Office. A resume and transcript must be submitted prior to the interview. Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Birmingham Public Library. Position available immediately. This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.