Current Openings - Job Detail
JOB BANK ENTRY
BUILDING SERVICE WORKER (PART TIME), 20 hours Bi-Weekly
Location: EAST LAKE BRANCH
Opens: 05/02/2016 Closes:05/16/2016
This position involves performing a variety of manual tasks in cleaning and maintaining buildings and grounds. Work is performed in accordance with specific procedures and inspected frequently for compliance to the standards and instructions.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Reports to Branch or Department Head.
- Cleans furnishings, floors, and equipment using cleaning solutions and disinfectants; cleans bathrooms; replenishes soap, tissues, and towels.
- Sweeps, mops, waxes, and buffs floors; Vacuums carpets.
- Empties waste containers and replaces liners
- Dusts and cleans walls, hallways, closets, shelves and storage areas.
- Picks up paper and debris on grounds.
- Cleans outside windows and bookdrop; sweeps sidewalks.
- Loads and delivers equipment and materials.
- Performs related work as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and materials.
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written directions.
- Ability to exercise care in the use of cleaning material.
- Ability to perform heavy lifting and routine manual cleaning tasks.
- Ability to lift cleaning equipment weighing approximately 30 or more pounds.
- Ability to bend, stoop, twist, turn and lift materials from place to place.
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors, and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist, turn and move materials from place to place in the library. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or equivalent experience, including ability to read and write English.
HOURS AND PAY
20 hours biweekly; Grade 133, Step 1, $10.98 per hour. All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule location changes depending on library needs.
METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/) for an application. The application will be forwarded to the Birmingham Public Library Personnel Officer. Library employees need not go through the Alabama Career Center but can submit applications directly to the Library Personnel Office. Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Birmingham Public Library. Position available immediately.
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.