The library is intended to be used for reading, studying, writing, and
privately listening to audio materials. In order to provide for the safety and
comfort of our patrons, as well as for the security of the building and library
materials, we ask your cooperation with the following rules.
- Everyone is welcome at the library. Authorized entrances and exits must
- Noisy or disruptive behavior is prohibited. Any verbal abuse or
threatening gestures, whether toward staff or patrons, will not be allowed.
- Library materials may not be taken into rest rooms.
- Rest rooms are to be used for their obvious purposes only.
- No smoking or tobacco use is allowed anywhere in the library. Smoking is
prohibited in and within, 7 (seven) feet outside entrances, windows, and
ventilation. (Birmingham Code, Sec. 11-9-10 Smoking in public places.)
- Food or drinks are only allowed in designated areas.
- Patrons may not use library materials or facilities in any manner that
would likely cause the materials or facilities to be damaged.
- Library users are prohibited from non-public areas.
- All library materials must be checked out before leaving the building.
Reference materials may not be removed from the library. Anyone who attempts
to remove these materials may be prosecuted.
- All bags, briefcases, backpacks, bedrolls, containers, books, papers,
and similar items are subject to inspection by library staff or security
upon entering and exiting the library. Visitors may bring no more than one
large and one personal item into the library. The large item or bag may not
exceed 9" x 14" x 22".
- Anyone who steals or vandalizes library property may be prosecuted.
- Only service animals are allowed in the library.
- As stated above, the library is intended to be used for reading,
studying, writing, and private listening of library audio material; the
library is not to be used as a place to sleep.
- Users must be fully clothed in the library including shoes and shirts.
- No weapons of any kind are permitted in the library.
- Library equipment made available for public use must be operated in
accordance with the guidelines established by the library.
- Children aged seven (7) and under should not be left in the library
without a parent or other responsible adult.
- Safety regulations governing the use of elevators and escalators must be
- Any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local law,
ordinance or regulation is not permitted.
These rules are statements of existing policies as adopted by the
Birmingham Public Library Board. Any violation of these rules could result in
expulsion from the library. Library employees have been authorized by the Board
to enforce these rules.
Adopted by the Birmingham Public Library Board on April 21,
1994. Revised August 23, 2007.
Bag Check and Limitation Policy Adopted by the Birmingham Public Library Board
on March 29, 2012.