The library is intended to be used for reading, studying, writing, and
privately listening to audio materials. In order to provide for the safety and
comfort of our patrons, as well as for the security of the building and library
materials, we ask your cooperation with the following rules.
- Everyone is welcome at the library. Authorized entrances and exits must be used.
- Parents, guardians, and/or caregivers are responsible for the safety, behavior, and supervision of children at all times in the library and on library property.
- All bags, purses, briefcases, backpacks, bedrolls, containers, books, papers, and similar items are subject to inspection by library staff or security upon entering and exiting the library. Visitors may bring no more than one large and one personal item into the library. The large item or bag may not exceed 9" x 14" x 22". Any items considered dangerous will not be allowed.
- Patrons should keep personal items with them at all times. The library is not responsible for loss or theft of personal items.
- Patrons must be fully clothed in the library including shoes and shirts.
- Only service animals are allowed in the library. Library program animals may be in certain locations.
- No smoking or tobacco use is allowed anywhere in the library. Smoking is prohibited in and within, 7 (seven) feet outside entrances, windows, and ventilation. (Birmingham Code, Sec. 11-9-10 Smoking in public places.)
- Visitors to the library cannot bring containers of food. Visitors to the library can bring small packs of snacks, bottled water, bottled soft drinks, and beverages in cups with attached lids are allowed in study areas – not in computer areas. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the library except under special permission.
- Rest rooms are to be used for their obvious purposes only.
- Library materials may not be taken into rest rooms.
- Noisy or disruptive behavior is prohibited. Any verbal abuse or threatening gestures, whether toward staff or patrons, will not be allowed.
- Library users are prohibited from non-public areas.
- Library equipment made available for public use must be operated in accordance with the guidelines established by the library.
- The library is intended to be used for reading, studying, writing, and private listening of library audio material; the library is not to be used as a place to sleep.
- Patrons may not use library materials or facilities in any manner that would likely cause the materials or facilities to be damaged.
- All library materials must be checked out before leaving the building. Reference materials may not be removed from the library. Anyone who attempts to remove items not properly checked out may be prosecuted. A valid, up-to-date library account is required to checkout items; proper identification may be requested.
- Anyone who steals or vandalizes library property may be prosecuted.
- Safety regulations governing the use of elevators and escalators must be observed.
- Any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local law, ordinance or regulation is not permitted.
- All locations follow the City of Birmingham Curfew Law. Any youth under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian if the Birmingham City Schools are in session.
These rules are statements of existing policies as adopted by the Birmingham Public Library Board. Any violation of these rules could result in expulsion from the library. Library employees have been authorized by the Board
to enforce these rules.
Adopted by the Birmingham Public Library Board on April 21,
1994. Revised August 23, 2007.
Bag Check and Limitation Policy Adopted by the Birmingham Public Library Board
on March 29, 2012.
Staff Review completed on April 6, 2016. Revised August 9, 2016