Jacob Salie and P. S. Mewhinney, Architects
Photographs and Floor Plans
Architects Jacob E. Salie and Philip S. Mewhinney formed a partnership under the firm name of Salie & Mewhinney around 1915. The architects maintained an office in the Woodward Building in downtown Birmingham. Prior to forming a partnership, Salie practiced with S. Scott Joy and T.H. Joy in Birmingham, and Mewhinney practiced with Dennison & Hirons, Architects, in New York. Mewhinney received a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture from the Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburg.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of photographs and floor plans of craftsman style houses designed by two Birmingham architects in the 1920s. With few exceptions the houses are in Birmingham. Photographs of a few buildings other than houses designed by one or both of these men are included. Buildings are located in Norwood, Milner Heights, Lakeview, South Highlands, Shades Mountain, East Lake, Ensley, Edgewood, Selma, and Sheffield.
First Floor Plan and Photograph of House for Mrs. H.R. Sullivan, 3202 Norwood Boulevard. File #863.1.45 and #863.1.47. Salie, Jacob and P.S. Mewhinney, Architects. Birmingham Public Library, Department of Archives and Manuscripts.
The Ohio Architect Engineer & Builder. Volume 25.1 (1915): 68.