- New Cards
- College, Junior College, and Boarding Student Cards
- Business Cards
- Cards for People Under 15 Years of Age
- Visitor and Temporary Cards
- Card Renewals
- How to Apply for a Card
- Virtual eCards
- The JCLC library card is honored at any public library in Jefferson
County. However, some electronic resources may not be accessible from
outside the library or in other areas depending on licensing agreements.
- Identification is needed for new, replacement, and renewed cards.
- Proper identification includes state-issued picture
identification and a form of address verification.
- If patrons have no picture ID, alternate forms of ID may be
- Cards expire two years from issuance or renewal. Exceptions to this
would include students and persons in shelters or temporary housing.
- Signatures on library cards are optional.
- New (first-time) membership cards are available at no charge to
Jefferson County residents.
- An annual nonrefundable fee of $50.00 is charged for nonresidents of
College, Junior College, and Boarding Student Cards
- A college or junior college student may use a current student
identification card to apply for a library card. Proof of address must
- The student must live on campus, and the campus must be in Jefferson
County. Proof of residency is required.
- Boarding students at the Alabama School of Fine Arts must supply a
notarized letter from the school.
- The expiration date for the student's library card should be set on
the system for August 31.
- The student's campus address will be used as a mailing address.
- The student's home address will be used as the secondary address.
- Business cards are issued at no charge to businesses or agencies in
- Businesses that are located outside of Jefferson County will be
required to pay the annual, nonresident fee of $50.00.
- Documentation for business memberships must include the following:
- A request for a business membership must be presented in writing
on company letterhead.
- The presiding officer of the company must sign the request.
- A business application must be completed.
- he completed application must contain the names of the four (4)
persons authorized to use the card. Whenever there is a change among
these four (4) persons, a new letter is required.
- This process must be followed to renew the card. Card must be
renewed on an annual basis as with individual records.
Cards for People Under 15 Years of Age
- Juvenile library cards are issued under the following circumstances:
- Patrons under the age of 15 must have a parent or legal guardian
present with a government-issued ID (passport, driver's license) and
verification of current address in order to obtain card.
- Patrons under the age of 18 who do not have their own
government-issued ID, must have a parent or legal guardian present
with a government-issued ID (passport, driver's license) and
verification of current address in order to obtain a library card.
- Patrons 15 or older who have their own government-issued ID and
verification of current address may obtain a library card.
- The child must be present in order for a card to be issued in
the child's name.
Visitor and Temporary Cards
- Visitors from out of state may check out materials. To check out
material, a visitor must make a cash deposit equal to the retail value
of all material being checked out. Certain municipalities may make
exceptions to this rule.
- Residents in temporary shelters are limited in the number of items
and type of materials that can be checked out, and by expiration dates.
Expiration dates should be no more than the time specified in a letter
from the shelter director.
- All libraries must update any county resident's JCLC card.
- Fines and other application problems must be cleared before a card
can be renewed.
- Cards may be renewed
- Nonresidents of Jefferson County must pay an annual, nonrefundable
library card fee of $50.00.
How to Apply for a Card
You can apply for a library card at any public library in Jefferson
If you live in Jefferson County:
Present your driver's license or non-driver's I.D.
If your address is incorrect on your I.D.:
Provide a current utility bill listing your name and correct address, or check
or deposit slip with your name, address and phone number, or letter mailed to
you, postmarked within the month.
If you have no driver's license or non-driver's I.D.:
Provide a picture I.D. from school or work plus social security card, or,
medical I.D. card plus current utility bill listing your name and current
address, or check or deposit with your name, address, and phone number, or
letter mailed to you, postmarked within the month.
- Can I register for a library card online?
Jefferson County, Alabama residents can sign up for a temporary (one
month) Jefferson County Library eCard via the web.
- What is an eCard?
JCLC eCards are virtual one-month library cards that allow users
immediate access to many of JCLC's electronic resources, including magazine
databases. eCard users who wish to check out library materials will be asked
to upgrade to a full service library card.
- Who is eligible for an eCard?
Anyone who lives or attends college and lives on campus in Jefferson
County, Alabama and is at least 15 years old may register for an eCard.
- What can I do with my eCard?
An eCard gives you immediate access to JCLC
electronic resources (magazine, newspaper, and journal articles from
online databases). Place reserves using our
online catalog (we will upgrade you to a full service library card when
you pick up your items, so please be sure to bring appropriate
identification at that time)
- What can't I do with my eCard?
You will be asked to upgrade to a full service library card in order to
do any of the following:
- Check out items from any of the 40 Jefferson County public libraries
- Access the Internet from any library public access computer
- Access Downloadable Audiobooks and eBooks from Overdrive
- How do I upgrade to a full service library card?
Bring a picture identification and proof of your current address in the
form of postmarked mail, bill, or lease to any
JCLC location to upgrade
SStaff will not be able to upgrade your eCard to a full service card
without proper identification.
- Do I have to upgrade to a full service card?
Yes. eCards expire in one month.
Signup for an eCard